Tips to protect yourself and your children from an abusive partner

If you intend to leave:

  • Report to police or lawyers as needed.
  • Take pictures of any injuries you have received or damage to your belongings.
  • Find a safe place to hide copies of important documents for you and your children, including identification, medical records, diaries and money.
  • Know community resources available: Crisis lines (1.855.225.0220), transition houses, community centers, parent resource centers, etc.
  • Teach your children, friends, and family a phrase or word that indicates that you need help. Have a plan for what they should do, especially children.
  • Keep a copy of your commitments, peace bonds and probation orders with you at all times.
  • Remove / block violent partner from social media.
  • Turn off the GPS on all electronic devices.

If you left the relationship:

  • Let your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and building managers help you. Inform them of the identity of the abusive partner and the restrictions that apply to contact with you or your children.
  • Provide copies of custody or access orders to caregivers or school officials.
  • Keep windows and doors locked.
  • Keep track of any unwanted threats or contacts from the abusive partner.
  • Take pictures where possible to provide evidence if the abusive partner is following you.
  • Change the locks in your house. This step can be expensive but very useful.
  • Buy motion alarms that can be placed on windows.
  • Planning for the safety of victim services
  • How your phone can help you:
  • Familiarize yourself with the features of your phone that can help you - caller ID, * 67, * 69 and * 57.
  • Caller ID - this service may be chargeable; however, it will let you know who is calling before you answer.
  • 67 allows you to block your number for any call you make. This service is free.
  • 69 allows you to check the number of the last person who called you (landline only). This service may be chargeable.
  • * 57 will trace the last call to your number. You will not get the information, but it can be forwarded to the police by your telephone service provider.
  • Make sure your cell phone is charged and with you (make sure the GPS is off).
  • Tips, whether you stay or leave: Dial immediately
  • 1-1-1 if you are in danger.
  • Know how to recognize the warning signs of an attack and leave if you can. If you can not go out, go to a room with an outside door and try to avoid places with sharp corners, hard surfaces or objects that can be used as a weapon.
  • Pay attention to what's around you when you're in public.
  • Consider changing passwords frequently for social media, online banking, connecting to a computer, and so on.
  • Delete browsing history on your computer.
  • Be aware of resources that can provide you with services - parent resource centers, 24-hour crisis lines (1.855.225.0220), shelter outreach programs. See the Halifax Regional Police Victim Services brochure or call 211.
  • Phone: 902.490.5300 | Text: 902.497.4709
  • Email:

This page is also available in: Français